The short course is approximately 8km, and the long course is approximately 14km.
The start line will be between a Yellow and Black cardinal marker and a pink permanent buoy. Paddlers are required to stay 50m behind the buoys until the race has been called to the start.
DO NOT break the Start. You must remain behind the IRB bringing your start to the start line. The IRB will move to the yellow and black buoy at the start line (opposite the start boat). Anyone breaking the start will incur a 2 minute penalty. VIDEO WILL BE TAKEN THIS YEAR.
The Start procedure will be as follows:
- Green flag will be raised 2 minutes prior to each start
- Red flag will be raised 1 minute prior to each start
- An AIR HORN will sound the race start.
Short Course Description
From Start, paddle in a South East direction and turn left around the pink buoy and head north towards Dolls Point. There will be an IRB leading the way.
Follow the shoreline along the groynes to the left turn pink buoy located near the Novatel.
Head south directly back along the shoreline to Dolls Point, turn right across the Sailing Club beach and through the finish buoys.
Long Course Description
From Start, paddle in a south east direction and turn left around the pink buoy and head north towards Dolls Point. Follow the shoreline along the groynes past the Novatel to the right turn yellow buoy near the entrance to Cooks River. Head East towards the end of the runway and turn right around the yellow buoy. Head south west directly back to Dolls Point, turning right across the Sailing
Club beach and through the finish buoys.
The Finish Line will be between two black and white chequered buoys.
- You MUST GIVE WAY to all other waterway users.
- Remember, you are required to assist any paddlers in difficulty throughout the race.
- If you see any of the safety boats wave a red flag on course, the race has been stopped and you must proceed as directed by the safety boat.
- Your course will be marked by large yellow and pink buoys which are the new standard for Harbour Racing. Turn RIGHT around YELLOW and LEFT around PINK buoys. There is only one yellow buoy which you must turn around as you come to the Finish Line.