SSCC is committed to taking care of the environments on which we paddle. We believe that #take3forthesea is a simple way that everyone can contribute to cleaner waterways. As paddlers, our contribution to the campaign is cleaning up rivers, oceans and lakes, and reducing single-use plastics at our events.
- We pick up rubbish every time they go out paddling and dump it in a designated bin at the clubhouse.
- The rubbish is weighed and analysed regularly and the data recorded on the Litter Stopper app.
- We hold regular clean up days.
- We avoid single use plastics and actively recycle our rubbish.
Robyn Bingle (elected 2020 – current) is our
- Environment Officer
- PNSW Environment Committee representative
Robyn has been awarded the 2020/2021 Paddle NSW Environment Award.
Wonnie Wardens Clean Up Paddles
SSCC works with the Woronora River Keeper, RFS and the local community to conduct river and river bank clean up paddles approximately every 6 to 8 times a year. We have particular focus on areas only accessible by kayaks and small water craft, cleaning rubbish and weeds.
2021 Clean Up Paddle Days
- 21st February
- 8th March (Clean Up Australia Day)
- 11th April
- 20th June – this is the weekend before our club’s marathon race – all clubs are encouraged to do a clean-up before each PNSW marathon.
- 22nd August
- 21st November
- 12th December
- 2021-08-15: The Leader: Bingle Inaugural Winner
- 2021-02-23: Paddle NSW: SSCC Cleans 40kg Rubbish at Bonnet Bay
- 2021-01-18: The Leader: Paddlers with a Purpose
- 2020-12-22: Paddle NSW: Sutherland Shire Cleanup Paddle
- 2020-07-30: Paddle NSW: PNSW Establishes Environment Committee
PNSW members care about the rivers, oceans and lakes we paddle on. Our mission is to empower the NSW paddling community to care for and improve our environment.
‘SUP’ stands for “single-use plastics” (bad) and “stand-up paddle boards” (good)
September is a month of activities aimed at reducing the amount of plastic in our environment. PaddleNSW will be promoting paddle clean-ups leading up to the events and sharing stories and photos afterwards.