Sutherland Shire Canoe Club acknowledges the Dharawal speaking people who are the Traditional Custodians of the land and waters of Sutherland Shire. We recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
The Sutherland Shire Canoe Club is located on the Woronora River in the beautiful Burnum Burnum Sanctuary.
We are a friendly club catering for paddlers with a wide range of interests. Our members include juniors and adults wishing to hone their marathon racing skills, paddlers who enjoy harbour and ocean ski racing events plus many paddlers who enjoy recreational paddles on the peaceful Woronora. Our members paddle racing kayaks, recreational kayaks, sea kayaks, canoes and ocean skis. Look through our photo gallery below to see our members in action – paddling socially, in races, on flat water and in the sea.
Membership to Sutherland Shire Canoe Club includes membership to Dolls Point Paddlers. DPP caters for open water paddling and holds weekly sunrise paddles on Botany Bay all year round plus evening paddles in the Summer months.
Our club rooms at Woronora are open every Sunday from 9am to midday. This is the ideal location to launch your craft and meet other paddlers for a social paddle.
We welcome new paddlers to try our facilities before making a commitment to join. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your visit. For a small insurance fee, new paddlers can visit the club a few times, receive some basic instruction and borrow club boats and equipment. Everything is provided. Alternatively, we hold regular “Come and Try Days”. These days are a fun introduction to paddling where you can meet our members, receive instruction and try different types of kayaks and skis.
We look forward to meeting you and introducing you to the wonderful world of paddling. Please contact us email@example.com
- Don’t paddle or come to the clubhouse if you’re unwell, awaiting test results, are required to be isolating, etc.
- Practice safe distancing and good hand hygiene (hand sanitiser is available)
- Minimise the time you are in the boat shed and kitchen and try to keep the number of people in these indoor areas to an absolute minimum
- Club equipment must be cleaned before it is returned to the shed
- It’s recommended that you wear a mask when you can’t maintain safe distancing
- Above all, please use common sense and err on the side of caution
- Paracanoe celebrates inclusion on LA28 programme February 1, 2023Paracanoe has been officially confirmed as one of 22 sports to be included on the LA28 Paralympic Games schedule, an exciting next chapter in one of the world’s fastest growing para sports. The International Canoe Federation welcomed the announcement from the International Paralympic Committee, locking paracanoe in for its fourth Paralympic appearance. Paracanoe made its […]
- Phil Coles AM, former Olympian and IOC member, dies aged 91 January 30, 2023Phil Coles (far right) and his Olympic teammates Barry Stuart, Dennis Green and Dennis McGuire at the Athletes Village in Tokyo, 1964. (Supplied: Phil Coles)
- Eildon Festival of Paddling Report and Results January 15, 2023The Eildon Festival of Paddling finished on Sunday January 8, in what was a great 4 days attended by many participants. It started off on Thursday and Friday with a training camp that saw many participants in their Wildwater Race boats put through their paces. Thursday morning commenced with a tempo paddle of the classic […]
- Beau Miles webinar + PaddleNSW Club Forum November 18, 2022Filmmaker, outdoor adventurer, paddler and lover of recycled wood and op shop shirts, Beau can turn anything into an adventure and a laugh, while championing environmental sustainability. In his film, ‘BAD RIVER’, Beau takes us on a journey along Sydney’s Cooks River, offering a fascinating and disturbing view of the health of this river that […]
- Lovely Lake Lunacy 15 October 2022 – Marathon Series Finale November 10, 2022Beautiful sunshine and glassy water greeted the 70 paddlers in the return edition of MAKAI Paddlers Lake Lunacy PNSW Marathon. Being the final round of the statewide series, clubs were very keen to assert their dominance over their rivals that had been brewing over the previous few months. Discovery Park Burrill Lake provided an outstanding […]
- Masters enjoy getting back on the water at the 2023 PWA Canoe Sprint Championships February 3, 2023The recent 2023 PWA Canoe Sprint Championships were a roaring success, catering to young, old and everyone in between. The Championships were a good opportunity for locals to warm up for the 2023 PA Canoe Sprint Championships which will be held at Champion Lakes, WA from the 21-25th of March. There has always been an […]
- Mental health increasing priority for Australian athletes January 31, 2023The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) has welcomed new research revealing more Australian high performance athletes are prioritising their mental health. The AIS Mental Health Audit, run by mental health research institute Orygen, showed 50 per cent of the 305 athletes who took part in the survey sought treatment in 2022, compared to just 39 per cent of […]
- Paddle Australia commences Learning and Development project January 30, 2023The Paddle Australia (PA) Learning and Development (L&D) project aims to develop a culture of continued engagement and belonging. PA believes Learning and Development to be a key component in promoting these values and allowing our clubs, paddlers and sport to learn and grow. Through stakeholder engagement, PA has identified a series of key subject […]
- CEO BLOG – JANUARY 2023 January 30, 2023Welcome to 2023! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year break and managed to spend some time on the water during the busy holiday period. The competition season is ramping up, and it was great to see so many paddlers back on the water at the 2023 Canoe Slalom Age Championships in […]
- 2023 PA Canoe Wildwater Championships January 29, 2023Entries are now open for the 2023 PA Canoe Wildwater Championships being held at Penrith Whitewater Stadium, NSW from 4 – 5 March. The event will act as the selection event for the 2023 Australian Senior, Junior and U23 teams. Entries are now open and can be entered HERE – It is a great competition […]