Sutherland Shire Canoe Club acknowledges the Dharawal speaking people who are the Traditional Custodians of the land and waters of Sutherland Shire. We recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
The Sutherland Shire Canoe Club is located on the Woronora River in the beautiful Burnum Burnum Sanctuary.
We are a friendly club catering for paddlers with a wide range of interests. Our members include juniors and adults wishing to hone their marathon racing skills, paddlers who enjoy harbour and ocean ski racing events plus many paddlers who enjoy recreational paddles on the peaceful Woronora. Our members paddle racing kayaks, recreational kayaks, sea kayaks, canoes and ocean skis. Look through our photo gallery below to see our members in action – paddling socially, in races, on flat water and in the sea.
Membership to Sutherland Shire Canoe Club includes membership to Dolls Point Paddlers. DPP caters for open water paddling and holds weekly sunrise paddles on Botany Bay all year round plus evening paddles in the Summer months.
Our club rooms at Woronora are open every Sunday from 9am to midday. This is the ideal location to launch your craft and meet other paddlers for a social paddle.
We welcome new paddlers to try our facilities before making a commitment to join. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your visit. For a small insurance fee, new paddlers can visit the club a few times, receive some basic instruction and borrow club boats and equipment. Everything is provided. Alternatively, we hold regular “Come and Try Days”. These days are a fun introduction to paddling where you can meet our members, receive instruction and try different types of kayaks and skis.
We look forward to meeting you and introducing you to the wonderful world of paddling. Please contact us email@example.com
Join our facebook groups to keep up to date with our latest activities DollsPointPaddlers and ShireKayaking
- Don’t paddle or come to the clubhouse if you’re unwell, awaiting test results, are required to be isolating, etc.
- Practice safe distancing and good hand hygiene (hand sanitiser is available)
- Minimise the time you are in the boat shed and kitchen and try to keep the number of people in these indoor areas to an absolute minimum
- Club equipment must be cleaned before it is returned to the shed
- It’s recommended that you wear a mask when you can’t maintain safe distancing
- Above all, please use common sense and err on the side of caution
New Club 5K TT RECORD!
Save the Dates for Our Big 2023 Paddle Events
PUBLIC NOTICE – Dolls Point Classic, Sunday 7 August 2022
SUTHERLAND SHIRE CANOE CLUB INC. – Notice of the 50th Annual General Meeting
Woronora Marathon, Saturday 15 July – 5k lap course map
- Marathon Series Race 2, Windsor 26 February 2023 March 3, 2023What an eventful yet very successful day on Sunday. For our band of willing volunteers, the day commenced with a beautiful sunrise promising great weather. The tinny, loaded with all the portage equipment, was off to the boat ramp to launch. This was where the problems began. Once the boat was in the water, it would not […]
- 2023 PaddleNSW Marathon State Championships 11 & 12 March 2023 February 27, 2023State Champs will once again be hosted by Burley Griffin Canoe Club, over two days, with Singles on Saturday and Doubles on Sunday. Saturday 11th March Session 1 – 11:00 – ICF Open, U23, U18 & Masters Portage events Session 2 – 14:00 – General Classes (all ages), Para and Masters ICF (Non-Portage) events Session […]
- Paddling to NZ: Richard Barnes, Blue Moon February 23, 2023The journey of the first solo, unassisted, non-stop kayak crossing of the Tasman Sea. Submtted by Ian Wrenford On Saturday 18 February 2023, Richard Barnes paddled his kayak ‘Blue Moon’ into Riverton/Aparima New Zealand, having paddled some 2000km for the preceding 67 days from Hobart. This adventure marks the first solo, unassisted, non-stop crossing of […]
- Thanks & Farewell: PNSW Announces People Changes February 9, 2023There has been some recent movement on our Board with Karen Forbes and Bron Powell standing down for work and personal reasons. Karen served two separate periods on the Board, having been initially elected in 2016. Always the voice of reason, Karen has always been strong in workplace fairness and member protection issues. Bron was a Board Director for […]
- Wonderful Wagga Bidgee Bash and Bidgee Dash Criterium Race 2023 February 8, 2023What a wonderful way to start the 2023 PaddleNSW Marathon Series – in Wagga last weekend. In its third consecutive year, Wagga Bidgee Canoe Club’s downriver race format in the Paddle NSW Marathon Series, is growing in popularity. The 2023 version held on the 4th and 5th of February, saw 105 paddlers line up for the “Bidgee […]
- Entries Open for 2023 PA Canoe Slalom Championships March 27, 2023The 2023 PA Canoe Slalom Championships will be held at Penrith Whitewater Stadium, NSW from the 14th – 16th of April. Entries are now open and close on Thursday 6 April 2023, we encourage everyone to register as soon as possible to secure their spot on the start line. Registrations must be completed via JustGo with […]
- Council honours Jessica Fox OAM with plaque at ‘Olympic Playground’ March 27, 2023Penrith City Council has acknowledged the achievements of Canoe Slalom World and Olympic Champion Jessica Fox OAM, and her contributions to the local community, with a plaque unveiling at Penrith Whitewater Stadium last week. During the ceremony, Penrith Mayor Tricia Hitchen listed Jessica’s many accomplishments, in particular Jessica’s technically perfect run in the C1 Canoe […]
- CANOE SPRINT NATIONAL PATHWAYS TEAMS PROVISIONALLY ANNOUNCED FOR 2023 March 25, 2023There was more on offer at the 2023 Paddle Australia (PA) Canoe Sprint Championships than just national titles, with the Junior and U23 Australian teams, and Asia Pacific Cup team announced at Champion Lakes today. PA National Performance Pathways Lead (Sprint) Kenny Wallace OAM OLY was on hand to announce the 14-strong Junior team, 12-strong […]
- OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS GO HEAD-TO-HEAD AT 2023 PA CANOE SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIPS March 24, 2023Day four of competition at the 2023 Paddle Australia Canoe Sprint Championships welcomed masters competitors for their first races, as paddlers across the junior and senior ranks continued to fly down the course at Champion Lakes in Perth. Personal and Australian best times were broken, as conditions helped to power competitors home in the 200, […]
- PADDLE AUSTRALIA ANNOUNCES 2023 CANOE SLALOM NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT SQUAD March 23, 2023Paddle Australia is pleased to announce the Canoe Slalom National Development squad for 2023. The National Development Squad has been designed to identify young paddlers with the potential to reach current and future national teams, and provide opportunities for paddlers to learn what is required to train and race at an elite level. 11 athletes […]